Monday, September 28, 2009

memories

memories can be both rewarding and painful. there are good and bad memories. the bad memories, the ones we would like to forget, always find a way to creep into our mind's eye. for me the memories i would like to forget are centered around regret. regret for the mistakes i have made in the past. mistakes i would like to forget. yes i should move forward and learn from these mistakes for they make me who i am, but that doesn't stop them from entering my thoughts from time to time. why do memories pop in and out of our lives? of course there our triggers in every day life that spark memories, whether it be an event or a place. another question is: are we remembering the event or person, or are we remembering the emotion felt? or both?

so there are the negative memories, but there are also the positive ones too. i would endure all of my bad memories to recreate one of the good. the memories we never forget are the ones that make us laugh out loud, the ones that take us back, allow us to relive. like little helpful reminders that the present is special, that the present is what makes these memories.

either way memories are permanent markers in our mind that paint a picture of our lives; memories can never be taken away.

i have many wonderful memories, and a few bad. i remember my sister teaching me how to ride a bike in the backyard on an orange and black bicycle. i remember my dad baking cakes in the evening, i remember patiently waiting as he frosted them. i remember my mom labeling every crayon and pen for my sister and i to take to school. i remember the smell of my dad's wood shop. there are so many i have a feeling this will be a two part blog...

what are your favorite memories?

1 comment:

  1. because of a recent time in my life i have some of the best memories that i will recall every day, sad or happy....thank you

    ReplyDelete